Cànan - Language

Cuairt-litir

Cuairt Litir

Ar cuairt-litir as ùr 
(cruth PDF)
Samhradh 2017 


  Aithisg Bhliadhnail 2016/17  

Aithisg Bhliadhnail | Annual Report 2016-17

Aithisg Bhliadhnail 2016/17 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dhachaigh

Geàrr-chunntasan Disathairne 21 Samhain 2009

Geàrr-chunntasan Choinneamhan Chomann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta)

Comann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta) (CnP(N))

Geàrr-chunntas na coinneimh

Disathairne 21 Samhain 2009 aig 10.30m ann an Oifis Comunn na Gàidhlig, 22 Sràid Achadh a’ Mhansa, Glaschu.

 

An làthair

 

Dawn Morgan (DM) Inbhir Nis

 

Kerry Butler (KB) Sruighlea & Clach Mhanainn

 

Marsaili Dow (MD) Siorrachd Air

 

Sharon Methven (SM) Obar Dheathain

 

Mary Galbraith (MG) Glaschu

 

Sine NicIlleathain (SN) Comunn na Gàidhlig

 

Magaidh Wentworth (MW) Oifigear Phàrant

 

1. Leisgeulan

Apologies

 

Sandy Nicholson (SN) Dùn Èideann agus Lodainn

 

Colin Meek (CM) Ulapul

 

Lorna NicDhiarmaid (LN) An t-Eilean Sgitheanach

 

Fiona NicLeòid (FN) Ros an Ear

 

2. Geàrr-chunntas na coinneimh, 12 Sultain 2009

Minutes of meeting, 12 September 2009

 

The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted.

 

Proposed: Marsaili Dow

 

Seconded: Sharon Methven

 

3. Gnothaichean ag èirigh nach eil air a’ chlàr-chùisean

Matters arising not on agenda / Action Points

 

From §4 National Conference

 

The Macphail Centre in Ullapool is booked for the Annual General Meeting on 22 nd May. Suggestions for workshops were ‘How to support your child’ and ‘Working with your local council’.

 

Action: MW and DM to meet to discuss details of workshops and speaker before our next meeting.

 

MG suggested that there was a need for Gaelic organisations to attend Party Political conferences in order to lobby our representatives. Members agreed that this should be happening but there would need to be funding made available for lobbying activity.

 

From §5 Operational Plan

 

Letter to chair of Bòrd na Gàidhlig regarding additional staffing for CnP sent and reply received from the Chair which was supportive and suggested a meeting with BnaG management team, to be arranged in December.

 

Letter to Education Manager at Bòrd na Gàidhlig regarding the need for national policy on GME sent and reply received from Rosemary Ward who will meet with DM and MW to discuss.

 

At this point MG left the meeting.

 

From §7 Website and Promotion

 

The minutes from CnP(N) meetings are now being posted on our website.

 

A reminder was sent to local groups that they are able to have information posted on www.parant.org.uk

 

From §8 Online resource showing GME in action is still being investigated.

 

4. Pròiseact Comhairleachaidh Phàrant

Parental Advisory Scheme

 

MW reported that the training day held in Glasgow on the 16 th September had gone well with parents from Kilmarnock, Meadowburn, Mount Cameron and Condorrat in attendance. There have also been follow up sessions with some of these parents as well as some of the attendees from the training day in Inverness to discuss further implantation of the scheme at local level. The next round of training will be early in the New Year in Glasgow, Aberdeen and possibly Islay. MW will contact the Gaelic development officer in Aberdeen, Mairi Morley and in order to liaise with her on parent training. The Glasgow training session could include parents from Stirling and MW to liaise with KB on this.

 

5. Goireasan

Resources

 

MW tabled leaflet and posters from University of Edinburgh ‘Bilingual Matters’. There was discussion on resources that would be useful in promotion of GME as well as publicity materials for Comann nam Pàrant.

 

Action : MW to purchase publicity materials

 

6. Coinneamhan Sgìreil Comann nam Pàrant

Comann nam Pàrant Area Meetings

 

Meetings on a local authority basis have been discussed on a number of occasions by CnP. A very successful seminar for Argyll groups was held in 2007 and MD reported that herself and MG had tried to bring representatives from groups in the Glasgow area together on a number of occasions. It might be more beneficial to organise area seminars than to bring parents together for regular meetings at area level. The consensus was that discussion between groups in each local authority area would be helpful especially for example in Highland where there were currently a number of important issues such as progressing Gaelic schools as well as the failure of the authority to appoint a Gaelic education officer.

 

Action: MW and DM to organise meeting of Highland representatives early in the New Year and MW to send MD list of Glasgow contact details.

 

7. Coinneamh Bhliadhnail

Annual General Meeting

 

See §3. MW and DM will also discuss presentations for AGM as well as workshops.

 

8. Puingean ag èirigh bhon fiosrachadh às gach sgìre

Points arising from the information from each area

 

The main points arising from the area reports were discussed as follows:

 

Kilmarnock – there is a problem with accommodation of GM primary which was recently highlighted in local press (link to article on www.parant.org.uk). Comann nam Pàrant are holding an EGM next week to allow all parents to discuss this issue.

 

Aberdeen – The resignation of the only secondary Gaelic teacher is of concern to parents and the impact on their children’s’ education, especially those sitting exams this year.

 

Stirling

 

Principal teacher of GM has left. All classes are covered at the moment but may be a problem when a teacher goes on maternity leave in March. Nursery has ‘Gaelic input’ but this is minimal.

 

Inverness

 

BSGI has Acting Headteacher until the end of current session. Numbers continue to rise and the local authority has recently agreed to add two classrooms to the school. Secondary provision is much better and there are now 4 GM subjects available. Pre-school is concerning, one toddler group has closed and the other has reduced sessions from two to one per week.

 

9. GISBE

AOCB

 

KB raised the question of what rights CnP groups had in liaising with schools and how to deal with issues such as reluctance on the part of the school to have bilingual logos. Although there is no consistency as yet on bilingual ethos within schools that have GME Comann nam Pàrant believe that children should have materials in the language of their education and that Gaelic should be visible throughout the school. Regarding keeping parents and teachers informed of CnP activities as well as school bag mail some groups e-mail minutes of meetings etc and post information on websites.

 

MW reported on the latest meeting of the National Education Steering group for Gaelic.

 

LN had asked that the issue of the current restructuring at CnaG be raised at the meeting and the possible detrimental affect that this would have on Sradagan. Following discussion it was agreed that CnP should write to CnaG and BnaG expressing our concern. It was also agreed to support the Sradagan Christmas party for groups in the Glasgow area with a small donation to cover any deficit.

 

Action : DM to write to CnaG and BnaG

 

10. An ath choinneamh

Next meeting

The next meeting will be held on Saturday 6 th March in Inverness.

The following meeting date was also confirmed: 

Saturday 22nd May AGM in Ullapool

Geàrr-chunntasan Disathairne 12 Sultain 2009

Geàrr-chunntasan Choinneamhan Chomann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta)

Comann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta) (CnP(N))

Geàrr-chunntas na coinneimh

Minutes of meeting

 

Disathairne 12 Sultain 2009 aig 10.30m ann an Oifis Comunn na Gàidhlig, 5 Caolshràid Mhìcheil, Inbhir Nis

 

Saturday 12 September 2009 at 10.30am in Comunn na Gàidhlig office, 5 Mitchell’s Lane, Inverness

 

An làthair

Present

 

Dawn Morgan (DM) Inbhir Nis

 

Sandy Nicholson (SN) Dùn Èideann agus Lodainn

 

Donna Campbell (DC) Forfar

 

Paul Griffin (PG) Forfar

 

Colin Meek (CM) Ulapul

 

Marsaili Dow (MD) Siorrachd Air

 

Fiona NicLeòid (FN) Ros an Ear

 

Sharon Methven (SM) Obar Dheathain

 

Magaidh Wentworth (MW) Oifigear Phàrant

 

1. Leisgeulan

Apologies

 

Kerry Butler (KB) Sruighlea & Clach Mhanainn

 

Lena Devern (LD) Forfar

 

Lorna NicDhiarmaid An t-Eilean Sgitheanach

 

Fiona Byrne Lochabair

 

2. Geàrr-chunntas na coinneimh, 22 Cèitean 2009

Minutes of meeting, 22 September 2009

 

The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted.

 

Proposed: Donna Campbell

 

Seconded: Sandy Nicolson

 

3. Gnothaichean ag èirigh nach eil air a’ chlàr-chùisean

Matters arising not on agenda

 

From §2 Election of Office Bearers: Election of Vice-Convener

 

Paul Griffin was proposed by Marsaili Dow

 

seconded by Fiona Macleod

 

4. Co-labhairt Nàiseanta

National Conference

 

The Comann nam Pàrant conference in March had been well attended and all agreed that it had been a success though it was felt that parents would benefit from opportunity to attend more workshops and that we could have had less presentations. It was agreed that a seven year gap between conferences was too long and that we should plan to hold our next one in 2012. It was suggested that we make the AGM more of an event for parents with workshops such as the one from BBC Alba at the recent Parental Advocacy training. Saturday 22 nd May in Ullapool was agreed as a date and venue. This date was thought to be preferable to March when the weather might not be ideal for parents travelling.

 

Action : CM to discuss with local CnP group in Ullapool and look into possible venue for meeting

 

5. Plana Gnìomh 2009-10

Operational Plan 2009-10

 

Funding for additional staff must be a priority if Comann nam Pàrant is to build on the work that the organisation is currently involved in, mainly promotion of GME and other projects such as the Gaelic week in Edinburgh.

 

Action : DM to write to Bòrd na Gàidhlig requesting that they consider additional funding for CnP that would allow us to employ additional staff

 

The main Comann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta) event this year will be the AGM in May 2010 as previously discussed.

 

There was some general discussion on concerns regarding delivery of GME in primary, specifically lack of Gaelic contact time for children with an increasing amount of the curriculum being delivered through English which will inevitably have a detrimental effect on their fluency in Gaelic.

 

Action : DM to write to Education Manager at Bòrd na Gàidhlig expressing these concerns and reiterating the urgent need for a National Policy on GME.

 

6. Riochdachadh phàrantan Gàidhlig agus an ‘Parental Involvement Act 2006’

Representing Gaelic medium parents and the Parental Involvement Act 2006

 

This was an issue that had arisen in Inverness where there had been some disagreement over remit of each group. The groups have met to discuss this and the issue now seems to have been resolved.

 

This has not in the main been a major issue where GME is delivered as part of a dual language / English medium school but there has been discussion on the roles of the organisations and there is significant variation between Parent Councils on how they view matters that primarily relate to Gaelic within the school. CnP do have a wider remit than Parent Councils, encompassing promotion of GME as well as representing parents of children from pre-school through to secondary education. CnP cannot constitutionally be a sub-group of a Parent Council as has been suggested in some areas.

 

This is an issue that CnP need to be aware of and may need to draw up guidelines for in the future.

 

7. Làrach-lìn is sanasachd

Website and promotion

 

It was agreed that minutes from our meetings should be posted on the website. A reminder should also be sent to the groups that they can have a page on the website for their local CnP.

 

Action : MW to post minutes on web

 

Action : MW to remind groups

 

8. Sgeama Comhairleachaidh Phàrant

Parental Advisory Scheme

 

The first full training day for the scheme was held in Inverness on the 11 September with 12 parents attending from Portree, Fort William, Mallaig, Inverness and Nairn. The training covered information on Gaelic education in Scotland, what is GME, media and other support available for parents as well as resources for the scheme itself. A similar event is planned for Glasgow on the 16 th September.

 

SM said that Aberdeen would like to be involved in the scheme.

 

It was suggested that there is a need for an online resource showing GME in action.

 

Action : MW to investigate

 

Puingean ag èirigh bhon fiosrachadh às gach sgìre

Points arising from information from each area

 

 

 

Reports from Aberdeen, Inverness, Edinburgh, Ullapool, Easter Ross, Forfar and Kilmarnock were tabled and discussed.

 

10. GISBE

AOCB

 

Papers from the last meeting of the National Education Steering Group were distributed for information to members.

 

11. An ath choinneamh

The next meeting 

The next meeting will be held on Saturday 21st November in Glasgow. 

The following meeting dates were also confirmed:

Saturday 6th March in Inverness

Saturday 22nd May AGM in Ullapool

Geàrr-chunntas Disathairne 22 Cèitean 2010

Geàrr-chunntas Choinneamh Chomann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta)

Comann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta) (CnP(N))

Disathairne 22 Cèitean 2010 aig 10m ann an Oifis Chomunn na Gàidhlig, 5 Caolshràid Mhìcheil, Inbhir Nis.

 

An làthair

 

Dawn Morgan (DM)            Inbhir Nis

Bob McGowan (BM) Dùn Èideann agus Lodainn

Marsaili Dow (MD) Siorrachd Air

Lorna NicDhiarmaid (LN) An t-Eilean Sgitheanach

Fiona Byrne (FB) Lochaber

Magaidh Wentworth (MW) Oifigear Phàrant

 

1. Leisgeulan

 

Sharon Methven (SM) Obar Dheathain

Fiona NicLeòid (FN) Ros an Ear

 

2. Taghadh luchd-stiùiridh

 

The meeting began with the Parental Officer taking the chair. MW welcomed those present and explained the reason she was in the chair was in order to elect the new office bearers.

 

Convener : Dawn Morgan was proposed by Bob McGowan

 

Seconded by Fiona Byrne

 

Dawn was elected unopposed.

 

Vice-Convener : Bob McGowan was proposed by Marsaili Dow

 

Seconded by Dawn Morgan

 

Bob was elected unopposed

 

Secretary : Fiona Byrne was proposed by Marsaili Dow

 

Seconded by Bob McGowan

 

Fiona was elected unopposed.

 

Treasurer : Marsaili Dow was proposed by Dawn Morgan

 

Seconded by Bob McGowan

 

Marsaili was elected unopposed.

 

3. Geàrr-chunntas na coinneimh, 21 Samhain 2010

 

The minutes of the meeting on 21 st November were accepted and the minute from meeting on March 6 th noted.

 

Proposed: Dawn Morgan

 

Seconded: Marsaili Dow

 

4. Gnothaichean ag èirigh nach eil air a’ chlàr-chùisean

 

From §3 Operational Plan ‘Letter to chair of Bòrd na Gàidhlig regarding additional staffing for CnP sent and reply received from the Chair which was supportive and suggested a meeting with BnaG management team, to be arranged in December.

 

The meeting with BnaG management team has not taken place but along with all other Gaelic organisations Comann nam Pàrant has received a request from BnaG to make a presentation to a panel from the Board on the 18 th June. In the 15 minute presentation we have been asked to explain the work that CnP(N) are currently undertaking, how our organisation could contribute towards implementing the Action Plan for Gaelic, how we will work with other organisations, an estimate of costs of projects and if we can access additional funding. After the presentation there will be 45 minutes for discussion.

 

Members agreed that the CnP presentation should be ambitious.

 

There was concern expressed about lack of out of school provision at secondary level and worry about children’s Gaelic regressing at this stage, there is especially a lack of social language development for children from non-Gaelic speaking homes. Also at primary level at the same time that CnP are promoting GME other services such as Homework clubs and Sradagan are being withdrawn and this needs to be addressed.

 

Action: DM and MW to work on presentation with input from other members through e-mail

 

5. Comann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta) – Rathad air adhart

 

DM said that this was on the agenda because of recent poor attendance at national meetings and referred to our meeting in March which had not been quorate. At that meeting there had been some discussion on actions that could be taken to improve the situation.

 

Members felt that Saturday mornings remained the best time for meetings. We should continue to strengthen links with local groups and encourage participation at national level. MW said that there was a seminar on the ‘Benefits of Bilingualism’ planned for the Western Isles that was hoped would encourage parents there to be more active. It was felt that provision of childcare would probably not make a huge difference but that we should investigate helping with childcare costs to enable parents to attend. We could also look at video or telephone conferencing but this could involve a lot of organisation without much benefit.

 

6. Pròiseact Comhairleachaidh Phàrant

 

MW reported that since our last meeting there had been training sessions for the scheme in Aberdeen and Glasgow. A questionnaire has just been issued to parents who have attended training asking for feedback on their activities, use and development of resources and future training needs.

 

As we had heard the previous meeting at our AGM it is being suggested that the scheme should be extended to provide advice to parents when children are starting secondary provision. Members agreed that more information and support was needed for parents of secondary children but that advisors at this stage would have a different role, involving more co-operation with teachers and we would require parents with experience at secondary.

 

Members asked if contact details for advisors in each area could be made available on CnP website.

 

Action: MW to progress

 

7. Goireasan

 

MW said that she had still to purchase publicity materials for Comann nam Pàrant. There has been discussion with Rosemary (BnaG) and Iona (GME Promotion Officer, Western Isles) on the need for a DVD which would promote GME to parents.

 

 

 

There was discussion from members on the importance of visibility of Gaelic in signage and literature. BM said that as the National Museum was currently undergoing a major refurbishment that now would be an ideal opportunity to raise the profile of Gaelic. Possibly background teaching material might also be made available in Gaelic which would be another resource for children in GME in Edinburgh as well as visiting children through projects such as the CnP Gaelic week in Edinburgh.

 

Action : MW to ask BnaG if the National Museum has been contacted re: Gaelic Language Plan 8. Coinneamhan Sgìreil Comann nam Pàrant

 

The Highland Regional meeting on 17th April had been well attended (minute of meeting attached).

 

The main issue discussed had been the proposed changes to teacher / pupil ratio in Highland. Members expressed concern that there appeared to be a discrepancy between the current drive from BnaG to increase numbers in GME whilst at the same time there were to be cuts in teachers and out of school activities such as Sradagan. It was also felt that the additional stress on teachers would make it more difficult to attract people to the profession. Members felt that this made a mockery of Highland Council’s Gaelic Language Plan and that we should contact BnaG regarding the failure of the council to implement their plan

 

Action: Letter to BnaG re: HC Plan

 

9. Coinneamh Bhliadhnail

 

There had been a reasonable attendance at the AGM and CnP were grateful to both speakers for giving up their Friday evening to attend. The paper on secondary curriculum is very important and members felt that they would like an opportunity to comment.

 

Action : Letters to Rosemary and Catriona thanking them for their contribution to the AGM

 

Action : MW to contact Rosemary asking if CNP can respond to consultation on secondary curriculum

 

10. GISBE

 

FB said that Fort William nursery has reached capacity and parents had written to Highland Council asking that there be provision in Banavie and were currently awaiting a response.

There are feasibility studies being undertaken in Fort William and Portree by the council but there is no timeframe.

Comann nam Pàrant groups in both areas think it would be beneficial to meet up and co-ordinate activities.

BM said that the P1 intake this year in Tollcross would be 43.

 

11. Coinneamhan 2010-11

 

Meeting dates were set as follows:

 

Sat. 4th Sept in Inverness

Sat. 20th Nov. in Glasgow

Sat. 5th March in Inverness

Friday 20th May AGM in Glasgow

Sat. 21st May in Glasgow

Geàrr-chunntasan Dihaoine 22 Cèitean 2009

Geàrr-chunntasan Choinneamhan Chomann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta)

Comann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta) (CnP(N))

Geàrr-chunntas na coinneimh

Minutes of meeting 

Dihaoine 22 Cèitean 2009 aig 9f ann an Ionad Sgeulachdan, Dùn Èideann

Friday 22 May 2009 at 9pm in The Storytelling Centre, Edinburgh

 

An làthair

Present

 

Mary Galbraith (MG) Glaschu

 

Dawn Morgan (DM) Inbhir Nis

 

Sandy Nicholson (SN) Dùn Èideann agus Lodainn

 

Kerry Butler (KB) Sruighlea & Clach Mhanainn

 

Donna Campbell (DC) Forfar

 

Lena Devern (LD) Forfar

 

Magaidh Wentworth (MW) Oifigear Phàrant

 

1. Leisgeulan

Apologies

 

Colin Meek Ulapul

 

Fiona NicLeòid Ros an Ear

 

Marsaili Dow

 

 

 

2 Taghadh luchd-stiùiridh / Election of Office Bearers

 

 

 

The meeting began with the Parental Officer taking the chair. MW welcomed those present and explained the reason she was in the chair was in order to elect the new office bearers.

 

Convener : Dawn Morgan was proposed by Mary Galbraith

 

Seconded by Sandy Nicholson

 

Dawn was elected unopposed.

 

Vice-Convener : to be elected at future meeting

 

 

 

Secretary : Sandy Nicholson was proposed by Dawn Morgan

 

Seconded by Kerry Butler

 

Sandy was elected unopposed.

 

 

 

Treasurer : Marsaili Dow was proposed by Dawn Morgan

 

Seconded by Mary Galbraith

 

Marsaili was elected unopposed after the committee unanimously decided to co-opt her onto the committee in order that she could continue as treasurer until a replacement was identified. There was discussion on ways of easing the amount of work that the committee treasurer has and it was decided that committee expenses should in future be paid directly from the Comann nam Pàrant budget at Comunn na Gàidhlig.

 

Action : MW to discuss CnP budget with Archie MacLean, Chief Executive of Comunn na Gàidhlig.

 

 

 

Magaidh then handed the chair over to the newly elected chair, Dawn.

 

3. Geàrr-chunntas na coinneimh, 7 Gearran 2009

Minutes of meeting, 7 February 2009

 

The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted.

 

Proposed: Dawn Morgan

 

Seconded: Sandy Nicolson

 

4. Gnothaichean ag èirigh nach eil air a’ chlàr-chùisean

Matters arising not on agenda

 

From §3 Matters arising not on agenda: Gaelic schools for Portree and Fort William; both were discussed at the Education committee meeting at Highland Council on the 21 st May.

 

Action : MW to obtain update on progress in both areas.

 

Due to time constraints the following items on the Agenda were deferred until the next meeting:

 

Co-labhairt Nàiseanta / National Conference

 

Riochdachadh Phàrantan Gàidhlig agus "Parental Involvement Act 2006” / Representing Gaelic-medium Parents and the Parental Involvement Act 2006

 

Làrach-lìn is sanasachd / Website and promotion

 

Pròiseact Comhairleachaidh Phàrant / Parental Advisory Project

 

5. GISBE

AOCB

 

DC and LD said that they were having difficulties contacting anyone regarding Sradagan in Forfar.

 

Action : MW to raise with Comunn na Gàidhlig

 

6. An ath choinneamh

The next meeting

 

The next meeting will be held on Saturday 12 th September in Inverness.

 

The following meeting dates were also set:

 

Saturday 21 st November in Glasgow

Friday 5 th March AGM in Inverness

Saturday 6 th March in Inverness 

Saturday 22 nd May in Edinburgh

Geàrr-chunntas Disathairne 4mh Sultain 2010

Geàrr-chunntas Choinneamh Chomann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta)

Comann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta) (CnP(N)) 

Disathairne 4mh Sultain 2010 aig 10m ann an Oifis Chomunn na Gàidhlig, 5 Caolshràid Mhìcheil, Inbhir Nis, IV2 3HQ

 

An làthair

 

Sharon Methven (SM) Obar Dheathain

Dawn Morgan (DM)            Inbhir Nis

Bob McGowan (BM) Dùn Èideann agus Lodainn

Marsaili Dow (MD) Siorrachd Àir

Margaret Ford (MF) Àth-tharacaill

Magaidh Wentworth (MW) Oifigear Phàrant

 

1. Leisgeulan

 

Fiona NicLeòid (FN) Ros an Ear

 

2. Geàrr-chunntas na coinneimh, 22 Cèitean 2010

 

The minute of the meeting on 22nd May was accepted with the following change:

 

From §6 Goireasan / Resources ‘The background teaching material could also be made available in Gaelic’ to Perhaps background teaching material might also be made available in Gaelic’.

 

Proposed: Marsaili Dow

 

Seconded: Dawn Morgan

 

3. Gnothaichean ag èirigh nach eil air a’ chlàr-chùisean

 

From §5 Parental Advisory Scheme

 

Contact details of advisors are now available on the CnP website.

 

From §6 Resources

 

BnaG have requested a Gaelic Language Plan from the National Museum

 

From §7 Comann nam Pàrant Area Meetings

 

‘Letter to BnaG re: HC Plan’ A letter had been sent to the Minister for Gaelic, Fiona Hyslop and a response received. Both were circulated to the meeting and it was agreed to respond positively to the invitation from the government to meet with them to discuss issues raised in our letter.

 

Action: MW to reply to letter from Linda Roberts, Scottish Executive.

 

4. Comann nam Pàrant (Nàiseanta) – Rathad air adhart

 

As discussed at our last meeting all Gaelic organisations had been asked to make a presentation to a panel at BnaG detailing how the work that they are currently undertaking, how their organisation could contribute towards implementing the Action Plan for Gaelic, how they will work with other organisations and an estimate of costs of projects. DM and MW had made the CnP presentation on the 18 th June and had subsequently received a letter from BnaG, a translation of which had been circulated to this committee, which proposed that the post of Parental Officer be managed by BnaG directly and not CnaG. This would save the £20,000 annual management costs currently paid to CnaG. This proposal was discussed and some concern expressed that what BnaG now appeared to be proposing might be detrimental to the interests of CnP and effectively cut support for our organisation. Although DM and MW had met with an officer from BnaG we are still awaiting details of what they are proposing in writing and it was decided that we have to wait until then before responding.

 

5. Pròiseact Comhairleachaidh Phàrant

 

MW reported that she would be continuing to build on the number of parent advisors with training sessions planned for Inverness and Glasgow in the next two months. She has also just met with advisors in Lochaber and will be arranging to meet advisors in other areas shortly. DM said that although numbers were healthy in Inverness it would be helpful to have trained parental advisors who would be able to advise and support parents especially those new to GME.

 

6. Goireasan

 

MW has met with the communications officer at BnaG who has offered to look at branding and design of materials such as ‘pop up’ banners for advisors.

 

An invitation has been sent to media organisations to tender for a DVD that will complement the Fios is Freagairt booklet on GME.

 

 

7. Coinneamhan Sgìreil Chomann nam Pàrant

 

During the summer holidays a number of representatives from Highland Area had met with Hugh Fraser (HF), Director of Education, Highland Council to discuss the concerns that CnP had about changes to teacher / pupil ratios in GME. We were told that although there was strong support for Gaelic within the council that there was also a very vocal anti-Gaelic lobby and that Gaelic had to be seen to be taking its share of the cuts in the current financial climate.

 

HF said that the council would be closely monitoring the situation over the next few months, all complaints from parents would be noted and then they will decide whether they needed to rethink. It was decided that CnP needed to continue to monitor the situation in Highland and organise another area meeting soon.

 

Action : MW to liaise with DM regarding date and venue for meeting

 

Kenny Murray, Gaelic Manager to be contacted regarding possible representation from the local authority at meeting

 

MW - Online petition on ratios to be sent to Highland Council

 

Other area meetings – as Argyll is another local authority with a number of Gaelic medium facilities it would be useful to have an area meeting.

 

Action : MW to contact Gaelic Development Officer in Argyll 8. Sgrùdadh air Cosg

 

There has been a request from the Chair of the Edinburgh CnP group that CnP (N) draw up a template letter for parents in all areas to send to Scottish Government to encourage continued investment in Gaelic in the current difficult financial climate.

 

Action : DM and MW to draw up letter

 

9. Puingean ag èirigh bhon fiosrachadh às gach sgìre

 

Members present from Edinburgh and Lothian, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Inverness and Acharacle gave a short verbal report on the current GM situation in each of these areas.

 

10. GISBE

 

MW will be representing CnP on the Excellence Group for Gaelic which will be meeting for the first time on 8th September.

 

CnP have been allocated a slot at the Holyrood Conference on Gaelic medium education which is planned for the 17th November in Edinburgh. 10. Coinneamhan 2010-11

 

Meeting dates were set as follows:

 

Sat. 20th Nov. in Glasgow

Sat. 5th March in Inverness

Friday 20th May AGM in Glasgow

Sat. 21st May in Glasgow 

Facebook

 

Còraichean © 2018 Comann nam Pàrant | Gach còir glèidhte